Autism – NEW 2018

Caudwell Children
Autism Services

Providing assessment,
intervention and support.

DOWNLOAD OUR SERVICE GUIDE

Caudwell Children Autism Service (CCAS)

provides assessment, intervention and support for children with ASD and their families.

Who are Caudwell Children
and how our services help?

Caudwell Children is a national charity based in Staffordshire dedicated to improving the lives of disabled children in the UK. Established in 2000 we’ve supported over 40,000 children to date.

ABOUT US

Caudwell International Children Centre

Caudwell International Children’s Centre has been purpose built in consultation with families to provide an environment that meets the needs of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).

WHY CICC?

What is Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD)

Autism is a lifelong, developmental disability that affects how a person communicates with and relates to other people, and how they experience the world around them. (The National Autistic Society 2017)

READ MORE?

What We Do?

Multi-Disciplinary Team Assessment
(MDT)

Our experienced and dedicated clinical team work with families to undertake a holistic and child centred assessment of their strengths and difficulties.

ABOUT MDT

Occupational Therapy and Sensory Integration Assessment

The Occupational Therapy team will look at a child’s ability to engage in activities of daily life (occupations), using a sensory integration approach where appropriate.

READ MORE

Workshop programme
for children
and families

CCAS offers a range of workshops for parents/carers and children to provide practical advice, support and information following diagnosis.

CCAS WORKSHOPS

What Happens Next?

Criteria

Caudwell Children Autism Service accepts referrals and provides support for children aged 4 – 11 years. Please read more below for more information.

READ MORE

Referrals

We accept referrals from any health, education or social care professionals who know the child and family well. Workshops do not require a referral.

HOW TO MAKE A REFERRAL

Funding

Funding may be available to support your access to Caudwell Children Autism Service. Your referral will need to be accepted before you apply for funding.

COST AND FUNDING

Cost and Funding – Workshops

Workshop Programme - Half Day

£125

Workshop Programme - Full Day

£250

Workshop Programme Packages

£1,000

Cost and Funding – Occupational Therapy and Multi-Disciplinary Assessment

OT Sensory Integration Assessment

£1,500

Multi-Disciplinary Team Assessment

£4,700

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Autism?

Autism is a lifelong, developmental disability that affects how a person communicates with and relates to other people, and how they experience the world around them. (The National Autistic Society 2017)

Where will the diagnostic assessment and intervention take place?

The diagnostic assessment and intervention will take place at the Caudwell International Children’s Centre, Keele, Staffordshire.

Does the service just offer support for children with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)?

Initially the service is designed to support children and families with ASD but as a centre for neurodevelopmental disorders we will be looking to extend what we can provide in the future.

Our workshops are available to families with a child who is either diagnosed with an ASD or is under investigation for the same.

Why is the Caudwell Children Autism Service (CCAS) only focusing on children aged 4 – 11?

There is considerable evidence regarding the effectiveness of early intervention for children and young people with ASD, improving long term outcomes. We believe focusing on supporting a child and family in this age group will promote better outcomes for the family.

We also offer a comprehensive suite of workshops for families. These workshops are tailored to meet the needs of parents of children and young people aged 4-11 years. However, the content and strategies may be useful for parents of children and young people outside of this age range.

Does the service help with Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA)?

The complex profile of behaviours associated with demand avoidance is recognised as occurring within the autism spectrum.

CCAS will provide support to children who are identified as having difficulties which suggest they would benefit from a comprehensive multidisciplinary diagnostic assessment for autism spectrum disorder.

CCAS will also provide support to children who already have a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder and have difficulties that might be helped by specialist workshops or an Occupational Therapy/Sensory Integration assessment.

Will you be supporting children with Asperger Syndrome (AS)?

Yes.

CCAS will provide support to children who are identified as having difficulties which suggest they would benefit from a comprehensive multidisciplinary diagnostic assessment for autism spectrum disorder. CCAS will also provide support to children who already have a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder and have difficulties that might be helped by specialist workshops or an Occupational Therapy/Sensory Integration assessment.

Will a diagnosis for ASD from you be recognised by local authorities and the NHS?

Our assessment and diagnosis service follows National Institute for Health and Care Excellence guidelines. We will be liaising with local authorities and other statutory services but ultimately this decision lies with the individual local authority or statutory provider.

How can my child get referred to the services?

Referrals will be accepted with parental consent from any health, social care or education professional that knows the child well, ensuring that the family GP is aware of the referral.

Families do not need a formal referral in order to attend the workshop programme. They can apply themselves.

Can I self-refer?

Families can only self-refer for the workshop programmes.

Referrals will be accepted with parental consent from any health, social care or education professional that knows the child well for the ASD assessment.

Do I have to pay for the service or are their funding opportunities available?

Families can apply for support for funding from Caudwell Children but will need to meet the charity eligibility criteria.

Funding, if supported, will be for 80% of the total cost, therefore families will need to contribute the remaining 20%.

What is the criteria for funding?

Families can apply for support for funding from Caudwell Children but will need to meet the charity eligibility criteria. Funding, if supported, will be for 80% of the total cost, therefore families will need to contribute the remaining 20%.

Caudwell Children funding eligibility criteria can be found on our website. Families can apply for funding if they have an annual income less than £45,000 gross.

Once I’ve got a referral how long will it take until I know if my child has been accepted? How long until they get seen?

All referrals will be reviewed by the clinical team on a weekly basis and families will be notified of the outcome as soon as there is sufficient information to make a decision.

For referrals that meet the clinical eligibility criteria, families will then need to advise us on how they will be funding their assessment or workshop places. Families applying for a donation from the charity will need to complete an application form and complete the funding application process before an appointment is arranged.

Once a referral has been accepted by the team, an appointment will be offered only when funding is agreed and in place. For those families applying for funding support from the charity, this typically takes 2-3 months to arrange.

Further questions?

Please contact our clinical team. We are more than happy to help. Telephone: 0345 300 1348; email: team.clinical@caudwellchildren.com

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This